Publishing: The Inside Story with Louise Thurtell
- VENUE: Gorman Arts Centre : E Block Seminar Room
- COST: $145 (ACT Writers Centre member), $135 (concession member), $210 (non-member - includes membership), $185 (concession non-member - includes membership)
- BOOKINGS: Via Eventbrite
- PRESENTER: ACT Writers Centre
- WHEN: 10am to 4pm
7 October 2017
earn about the writer’s journey to publication from one of Australia’s most experienced publishers.
Get the inside scoop on perfecting your manuscript and landing a publishing deal. In this workshop aimed at both fiction and nonfiction writers, Louise Thurtell will provide invaluable and realistic advice about how to maximise your chance of securing a publishing deal, covering topics including:
- the craft of writing;
- the importance of revising your manuscript prior to submission;
- how to find the most suitable literary agent or publisher for your work;
- the different electronic submission systems you should try; and
- what made a first chapter and synopsis leap out at her when reading Friday Pitch and other submissions.
About the Tutor
Louise Thurtell has worked in publishing for over 25 years, most recently at Allen & Unwin, where she was recruited to start her own commercial fiction and non-fiction imprint, Arena. As the publisher of Arena, Louise set up Friday Pitch, which was the first electronic pitch system in Australian book publishing. She is a past recipient of the Beatrice Davis Editorial Fellowship.