Editing Nonfiction with Pippa Carron
- VENUE: Gorman Arts Centre : E Block Seminar Room
- COST: $145 (ACT Writers Centre member), $135 (concession member), $210 (non-member - includes membership), $185 (concession non-member - includes membership)
- BOOKINGS: Via Eventbrite
- PRESENTER: ACT Writers Centre
- WHEN: 10am to 4pm
2 December 2017
A no-nonsense intensive on structural editing for nonfiction.
Structure is the underpinning architecture of all nonfiction books. It has to flow correctly from macro-scale down to individuals sentences, phrases and words. Being able to edit the structural components of your nonfiction book will pay off dramatically when it comes time to find a professional editor or if you intend to self-publish.
With hands-on exercises, this class will look at:
- the key elements of each editing phase, with a focus on structural editing;
- understanding the elements of structure and applying a handy generic macro-structure;
- identifying the most appropriate logical flow of information at chapter and section level;
- resolving matrix problems and issues arising from lack of parallel construction to helping your reader with sentence-level signposts; and
- a review of the other editing phases, including copy editing, proofreading, formatting editing and verification editing.
If participants have a manuscript, they should bring them to work on during the day. If they do not, they will be provided with examples.
About the Tutor
Dr Pippa Carron is a creativity coach, experienced in both fiction and non-fiction writing skills. She provides high-level writing and editing services, specialising in the sciences, and fiction manuscript appraisal, plus she delivers writing skills courses to public servants under the business name Writing in the Gap. She is also an expert in self-publishing print-on-demand and digital books, and provides a mentoring program through her business My Self-Publishing Secrets.